ANGELES CHAPTER RATINGS
Refer to the [Leader’s Reference Book] for specific requirements for each of the nine leadership rating levels (O-1, O-2, I, M- Rock, M-Snow, M, E- Rock, E-Snow and E). Successful leader candidates are certified by the Angeles Chapter Safety Committee.
[O-level] outings comprise the majority of Angeles Chapter activities and include hikes, nature walks, conditioning hikes, day hikes and backpacks on trails where only minimal navigation skills are required.
· O-1 leaders may lead day hikes and car camping trips on class 1 terrain (walking or hiking on trails or roads).
· O-2 leaders may lead overnight backpacks on class 1 terrain.
[I-level] outings require navigation skills for significant off-trail travel, which may include class 2 terrain (occasional use of hands for balance).
[M-level] outings include skills for class 3 rock climbs (frequent use of hands for upward progress) and moderate snow climbs, which may require use of an ice axe, as well as navigation skills.
· M-Rock leaders may lead class 3 rock climbs but not moderate snow climbs.
· M-Snow leaders may lead moderate snow climbs but not class 3 rock climbs.
· Full M leaders may lead both class 3 rock climbs and moderate snow climbs.
[E-level] outings add skills for leading class 4 rock (consistent use of hands for upward progress and more exposure to falling) with a rope, anchors, protection and belays; steep snow climbs that require the use of an ice axe and crampons and may require roped travel and belays; and advanced navigation, which may require the use of an altimeter.
· E-Rock leaders may lead class 4 rock climbs but not steep snow climbs.
· E-Snow leaders may lead steep snow climbs but not class 4 rock climbs.
· Full E leaders may lead both class 4 rock climbs and steep snow climbs.
Note that a few Angeles Chapter entities offer outings rated T for technical. These outings require specialized skills and leaders of these trips are approved by the entity to lead the technical aspect of the outing in addition to having an appropriate leader rating granted by the Angeles Chapter Safety Committee. Examples include sailing and ski mountaineering.